GUILTY: Maidstone men who clubbed to death homeless Romanian Razvan Sirbu
Friday 12th January 2018
TWO Maidstone men have been found guilty of clubbing to death a homeless Romanian man who had been sleeping rough in Tovil.
Razvan Sirbu, aged 21, suffered multiple injuries to his head and body after being subjected to a sustained and unprovoked assault with weapons including a machete.
Mr Sirbu’s body was found by dog walkers in an area of woodland, off Cave Hill, on the morning of May 7 2017.
He was discovered close to a tent he had been living in, which was found to have been slashed in several places.
Maidstone Crown Court was told how a post mortem examination revealed blunt force trauma to the head and torso. There were multiple skull fractures, facial bone fractures as well as significant injuries to the body, including several fractured ribs.
Over the following days, enquires by the Kent and Essex Serious Crime Directorate led to the arrests of Charlie White, Alex Macdonald and James Buckley - all on suspicion of murder.
An investigation led to the recovery of CCTV at a local skate park which showed White burning clothing believed to have been worn during the murder.
Images also revealed Macdonald and Buckley appearing to re-enact some of the violence.
A grey coat was seized from a caravan where Macdonald was arrested in Shepherdswell. Blood found on the hood was tested and matched Mr Sirbu’s DNA.
Detectives also uncovered details of a conversation between White and Macdonald whereby White had asked him why he kept beating Mr Sirbu in the face. Macdonald was said to have replied ‘cos I thought it was funny’.
During police interview White issued a prepared statement. He claimed on the day of the murder he planned stealing a lawnmower from a garden in Bockingford Road.
He said he was carrying a meat cleaver for protection against the person he was hoping to sell it to. White claimed as he was making his way to the property he heard shouting and that a man speaking a foreign language then tried to attack him.
He admitted repeatedly striking Mr Sirbu with his machete, but denied aiming any blows to his head. White said he acted in self-defence and had played no part in encouraging others to also attack Mr Sirbu.
All three were charged with murder and remanded in custody. Appearing before Maidstone Crown Court, White, aged 19 and formerly of Quarry Road, Maidstone and Macdonald, aged 19 and formerly of Regency Place, Maidstone both pleaded not guilty to murder and the case went to trial.
On January 12, 2017, White and Macdonald were both found guilty by a jury.
Buckley, aged 20 and formerly of Capell Close, Coxheath, was found unfit to plead, but was found by the jury to be involved in the act of killing Mr Sirbu.
Sentencing has been adjourned until Tuesday January 16.
Detective Chief Inspector Tony Pledger said: ‘This was an utterly senseless attack on a young man who stood little chance of protecting himself. Razvan Sirbu was subjected to a horrific ordeal which appears to have been entirely unprovoked.
'He was beaten repeatedly, suffering a catalogue of appalling injuries as a result of a sustained and savage assault. Our investigation has uncovered compelling and overwhelming evidence linking the offenders to this murder, but their refusal to tell the truth may mean we never know precisely why they carried out this attack.’
- 18/01/2018 - Distraction burglar who targeted 92-year-old victim is jailed
- 18/01/2018 - Description issued by police searching pair who approached Maidstone schoolgirl
- 18/01/2018 - Controversial Maidstone road widening plan rejected by JTB
- 18/01/2018 - Dartford bridge remains shut after night of high winds
- 18/01/2018 - GALES: Roads blocked this morning after high winds bring down trees
- 17/01/2018 - Police issue advice as more BMWs are targeted by thieves in Maidstone
- 17/01/2018 - Warning after men in BMW approach schoolgirl in Maidstone
- 17/01/2018 - Long delays predicted on main Maidstone road