ALAN BENNETT: Former editor 's cortege to pass Downs Mail offices
Thursday 8th November 2018
THE funeral cortege of former Downs Mail editor Alan Bennett will pass the newspaper's Bearsted office next Friday to mark his many years in journalism.
A public service will be held at Hollingbourne parish church at 1.30pm (November 16) with a celebration afterwards at the village hall at around 2.30pm.
Alan, 63, died last month and despite suffering ill-health in recent years (which forced his retirement) was active in community life.
His brother Roger said that his cortege would pass the offices of Downs Mail as an acknowledgement to his decades as a newspaper journalist and where he spent a short time as editor.
He said: "We feel that it would be something nice to do in view of his years in newspaper journalism."
The committal at Vinters Park is private.
- Excited Mayor opens children's play area near Maidstone
- Tory leader's tributes to predecessor who defected to indies
- Road closed for five days near Maidstone
- Maidstone YMCA create short film about all the work staff and parents do
- Artist's exhibition near Maidstone to help fund Parkinson's disease research
- CLOSED: Five day road closure near Maidstone for carriageway repair works
- LEEDS WI: Group celebrates 100 years in village
- M20: Broken traffic lights causing long delays