ALAN BENNETT: Former editor 's cortege to pass Downs Mail offices
Thursday 8th November 2018
THE funeral cortege of former Downs Mail editor Alan Bennett will pass the newspaper's Bearsted office next Friday to mark his many years in journalism.
A public service will be held at Hollingbourne parish church at 1.30pm (November 16) with a celebration afterwards at the village hall at around 2.30pm.
Alan, 63, died last month and despite suffering ill-health in recent years (which forced his retirement) was active in community life.
His brother Roger said that his cortege would pass the offices of Downs Mail as an acknowledgement to his decades as a newspaper journalist and where he spent a short time as editor.
He said: "We feel that it would be something nice to do in view of his years in newspaper journalism."
The committal at Vinters Park is private.
- LOWER THAMES CROSSING: Consultation enters its final week
- CRASH: Collision near Maidstone causing long delays in both directions
- Gritting Kent announce they will be treating all primary routes tonight
- Motorway crash causing long delays
- DELAYS: Temporary traffic signals in Maidstone
- ROAD CLOSED: Busy road near Maidstone SHUT for SIX DAYS from today
- Lorry and car collide on A229 - long delays
- TRAFFIC UPDATE: Car crashes into Teston Bridge - massive congestion and delays