ALAN BENNETT: Former editor 's cortege to pass Downs Mail offices
Thursday 8th November 2018
THE funeral cortege of former Downs Mail editor Alan Bennett will pass the newspaper's Bearsted office next Friday to mark his many years in journalism.
A public service will be held at Hollingbourne parish church at 1.30pm (November 16) with a celebration afterwards at the village hall at around 2.30pm.
Alan, 63, died last month and despite suffering ill-health in recent years (which forced his retirement) was active in community life.
His brother Roger said that his cortege would pass the offices of Downs Mail as an acknowledgement to his decades as a newspaper journalist and where he spent a short time as editor.
He said: "We feel that it would be something nice to do in view of his years in newspaper journalism."
The committal at Vinters Park is private.
- Landowner reveals 1,000 homes plans as council 'call for sites' deadline passes
- WARNING: Restrictions in place from next week on rural road - details
- Shaina Marston and Damian Parsonage accused of stealing meat and Easter eggs
- CRASH: Collision blocks roundabout near Maidstone - expect long delays
- Busy village road near Maidstone to shut for urgent road works
- Drunken science teacher smashed car into lamp post in Maidstone
- LIFE IN PRISON: Minimum 32 years for house blaze killer Simon Childs
- Tributes to Lib Dem activist and ex-Mayor Brian Mortimer who died this morning