BAILED: Man, 27, arrested and bailed after M20 chaos
Monday 26th April 2021
A MAN arrested just before the M20 was shut for more than six hours has been bailed.
The M20 was forced to close between junction 8 and 9 shortly after 11.25am on April 25 after officers tried to stop a vehicle on the coastbound carriageway.
The vehicle did not stop and exited the motorway before returning onto the London-bound carriageway.
It was pursued to junction 9 where a police car made tactical contact with the vehicle, bringing it to a stop with no injuries reported.
A 27-year-old man from Wales was arrested on suspicion of dangerous driving and failing to stop for police. He has been released on police bail, pending further enquiries.
The British Army’s Explosive Ordnance Disposal team also attended the scene as a precautionary measure following concerns about the security of the subject vehicle, which has subsequently been declared safe and removed from the carriageway.
A Kent Police spokesman said: "An incident which led to the M20 being closed in both directions has resulted in a man being arrested and bailed.
"Kent Police wishes to thank everyone for their patience and understanding whilst the motorway was closed."
- COURT: Council takes first step towards clearing up Embankments restaurant
- 999: Paramedic recognised for more than 37 years' service
- LATEST: Business 'booming' for local restaurants
- LATEST: Plan to open all Kent libraries
- KINGS HILL: New leaders shake up troubled parish council
- MP HELEN WHATELY: Call to extend power to stop illegal lorry parking
- CAPTAIN PETER TOWNSEND: Royal lover's medals sold
- WARNING: Alarming reports of toxic hogweed in Maidstone