BEARSTED ALLOTMENTS: 40 protestors at fiery meeting of parish council
Wednesday 15th September 2021
MORE than 40 people attended a fiery meeting of Bearsted Parish Council last night to offer views at proposed changes to the village's allotments.
The parish council is in the process of acquiring land which could result in the expansion of the tennis club, an increase in size of the Holy Cross church car park and moving the allotments to the new site.
Gardeners are furious they were "not consulted" while the club was kept in the loop over so-called "project A".
Last night, BPC decided to appoint a tennis club representatives and two allotment holders to the working group.
BPC was approached for a comment.
One attendee said of last night's meeting: "It's pretty clear the council doesn't know what to do - they just seem a bit out of their depth, to be honest."
Cllr Denis Spooner, who has been critical of BPC's handling of the process, told an earlier meeting: "We have no idea whether this scheme is financially or physically viable."
READ THE LATEST COMMENT ON THE UNFOLDING STORY IN TOMORROW'S DOWNS MAIL
SPECIAL REPORT IN DOWNS MAIL, OUT ON OCTOBER 7
- BREAKING: Vehicle hits bridge near Maidstone - all train lines blocked
- WARNING: Temporary traffic lights on main road near Maidstone
- CRASH DELAYS: Busy road blocked following RTC in Maidstone
- JAILED: Text pest Tim Mumford faked his death to harass woman PC - court
- GBBO: Tom from Maidstone first to leave Great British Bake Off show on Channel 4
- CCTV APPEAL: Ramp for disabled visitors stolen from dental practice
- COURT: Katy Sue Lafferty to stand trial for drink driving
- WARNING: Crash blocks busy road in Maidstone