BEWARE: Doorstop mobile phone scam near Maidstone
Tuesday 10th September 2019
KINGS Hill's PCSO has warned residents to beware of a mobile phone scam in the area.
Kings Hill Parish Council was informed by PCSO Wendy Stanley of crooks delivering a brand new phone to your address and recording your personal details.
The scam works like this:
A brand new top-of-the-range phone is delivered to your door. The package has your name on it but you don’t remember ordering it. You then receive a phone call from a mobile phone company explaining it was delivered by mistake and they will send a courier to pick it up. When the courier arrives the phone is handed over, which could prove to be an expensive mistake.
The scam involves crooks ordering and then attempting to intercept – or trick you into handing over high-value packages. It usually happens when criminals somehow manage to get hold of your personal details to place the order. It can be one consequence of identity theft.
A Kings Hill Parish Council spokesman said: "If a courier unexpectedly comes to collect an item at your home do not hand it over, or if a mobile phone company calls about a delivered parcel check their credentials and call the company they claim to be representing. If you have any fears, contact the police on 101. If you receive an unexpected high-value package, contact the retailer immediately and arrange for it to be sent back."
- SPORT: Maidstone hockey player Izzy, 15, gets an England call-up
- HOUSING: Traffic fears over 840 homes plan off Hermitage Lane
- CHARGED: Suspected Maidstone shoplifter Liam Chapman, 33, to appear in court
- BURGLARY: Limited edition cartoon figurine stolen near Maidstone - can you help?
- LATEST: Police launch investigation following 'child-snatching' incident
- PANTO REVIEW: Mother Goose at the Marlowe Theatre
- M20 ROADWORKS: more disruption in the next seven days
- ELECTION: Boris Johnson and Jeremy Corbyn in Maidstone today - details