BEWARE: Doorstop mobile phone scam near Maidstone
Tuesday 10th September 2019
KINGS Hill's PCSO has warned residents to beware of a mobile phone scam in the area.
Kings Hill Parish Council was informed by PCSO Wendy Stanley of crooks delivering a brand new phone to your address and recording your personal details.
The scam works like this:
A brand new top-of-the-range phone is delivered to your door. The package has your name on it but you don’t remember ordering it. You then receive a phone call from a mobile phone company explaining it was delivered by mistake and they will send a courier to pick it up. When the courier arrives the phone is handed over, which could prove to be an expensive mistake.
The scam involves crooks ordering and then attempting to intercept – or trick you into handing over high-value packages. It usually happens when criminals somehow manage to get hold of your personal details to place the order. It can be one consequence of identity theft.
A Kings Hill Parish Council spokesman said: "If a courier unexpectedly comes to collect an item at your home do not hand it over, or if a mobile phone company calls about a delivered parcel check their credentials and call the company they claim to be representing. If you have any fears, contact the police on 101. If you receive an unexpected high-value package, contact the retailer immediately and arrange for it to be sent back."
- CASHLESS COUNCIL: Maidstone BC has not finalised PayPoint contract - details
- HOUSING: Historic East Farleigh must be kept special - campaigner
- POLICE APPEAL: Did you see supermarket smash and grab robbers?
- M20 ROADWORKS: Details of closures in the week ahead
- LORRY DRAMA: Polish truck narrowly avoids disaster
- STORE ROBBERY: Theives attempt smash and grab at supermarket near Maidstone
- HOUSE BLAZE: GoFundMe page set up to help family after Maidstone house fire
- Loose Road reopens after closure for house fire