BLAZE: Bonfire spreads to shed and fence in Maidstone
Monday 29th June 2020
FIREFIGHTERS tackled a shed and fence fire in Maidstone.
The blaze happened in Sittingbourne Road on June 28 at around 2pm. Two fire engines were in attendance, and crews arrived to a fire spreading through the shed, surrounding fences and trees.
Firefighters wore breathing apparatus and extinguished the blaze using a hose reel jet. No casualties were reported, and the fire is believed to have started accidentally after embers from a nearby bonfire caught the shed and fence alight.
A KFRS spokesman said: "Firefighters are reminding the public to avoid having bonfires where possible during this time, but if you do choose to have one, to do so safely.
"You should always build your bonfire well clear of any property, trees or fences, and never left unattended. Once you are finished with the bonfire, dampen it down fully with water to ensure the fire is out and surroundings are made safe before leaving."
- WE'RE BACK AND OPEN FOR BUSINESS
- WEATHER: Sun has got its hat on this weekend - forecast for next week
- OTHAM HOUSING: Conservative Val Springett pulls out of crunch vote on 421 homes
- WARNING: Road to shut next week for one day
- BREAKING: Man's body found near busy road in Maidstone
- BREAKING: Man found dead in woodland near Maidstone
- CUSTODY: Drive ban ice cream man 'fails roadside drug test'
- RELIEF ROAD: Transport board hears worrying news for Maidstone villages