BREAKING: Police cordon off town centre as man climbs on roof
Thursday 14th October 2021
A MAN has been taken into custody after he climbed onto the roof of a multi-storey car park in Maidstone.
Officers shut the end of Gabriel's Hill at around 1.45pm regarding concern for his welfare.
Shoppers were reportedly stopped by police from entering or leaving the shopping centre while they arrested the man on suspicion of possession of a bladed article. The cordon has now been lifted.
A Kent Police spokesman said: "Officers were called at around 1.45pm regarding concern about a man at a multi-storey car park near Romney Place, Maidstone.
"A man was arrested on suspicion of possession of a bladed article and a public order offence, and was taken into custody."
- MURDER: MPs pay tribute to Sir David Amess following stabbing
- COVID: Wedding bookings expected to return to 'normal levels' next month
- WILDLIFE: Daddy long legs in 'harmless' invasion
- MAIDSTONE: Brothers keep sporting ambition in the family
- SURVEY: Speeding is 'routine' in Bearsted
- LATEST: Biffa 'sorry' for noisy pre-dawn collections across Maidstone
- WEST MALLING: Unsafe lime trees to be felled at church
- LATEST: Mosque 'will be place for whole community'