Baby joy for Maidstone's Olympic superstar Lizzy Yarnold
Thursday 29th November 2018
LIZZY Yarnold, the country's most successful Winter Olympian, has revealed she is expecting a baby.
The former Maidstone Girls' Grammar School pupil, a multiple skeleton champion, who officially retired from sport last month.
On Twitter, the athlete joked she will have to switch to the luge, which involves competitors sliding down slopes on their back. It is her first child.
She wrote: "Looks like I'll need to do luge for a while! James and I have a little one on the way."
Miss Yarnold married engineer James Roche, who co-designed Yarnold's sled while working for McLaren Applied Technologies. The couple live in Bath.
The posting on November 28 "liked" almost 4,500 times.
Miss Yarnold (30) made British sporting history when she won her second Winter Olympic gold medal in the skeleton in Pyeongchang this year.
It meant that she became the became the the first British athlete to retain a title, having won the same event in Sochi in 2014.
On November 21, the former head girl of MGGS, who was appointed OBE in October, received a doctor of science degree from the University of Kent at Rochester Cathedral to honour her success.
She collected her latest honour alongside celebrated film, stage and TV actor Timothy West, who will be given a doctor of arts degree. Dr West is married to Fawelty Towers star Prunella Scales.
- BREAKING: Cars held up after van sends crates of plums crashing onto the A20
- BREAKING: M20 blocked due to RTC in Maidstone
- MOTE PARK ATTACK: Women 'punched, kicked and spat at' in Maidstone
- WARNING: Weavering Street to shut for three days
- BEARSTED ALLOTMENTS: 40 protestors at fiery meeting of parish council
- UPDATE: Fire crews tackle large blaze at the National Grid site - full details
- MAJOR FIRE: 12 crews tackle large blaze at the National Grid site - full details
- CUSTODY: Woman, 31, uses pram to 'steal items from various stores' in Maidstone