Bearsted's Flower Festival to raise funds for the church roof
Friday 14th September 2018
UP TO £400,000 may be needed to pay for a new roof at the Holy Cross Church in Bearsted.
Although the renovation is not urgent, architects have informed Rev John Corbyn that work cannot be put off.
So the Holy Cross Raise the Roof Committee is staging a flower festival on September 14-16.
Rev Corbyn, pictured, said: “Essentially, it is a case of a Victorian roof coming to the end of its useful life. We have to do something proactively sooner rather than later.”
The festival has 16 exhibits, covering a wide range of concepts and subjects but all under the umbrella of All Kinds of Everything, a song by the Northern Irish singer Dana. The song is about the changing of the seasons.
The festival programme explains: “We don’t want fund raising to be a chore. We want to see it as an opportunity to celebrate the church, its congregations and our friends and neighbours in Bearsted."
- ASSAULT: Woman kicked in face by man in Week St, Maidstone - did you see it?
- EVENT: The Multicultural Society to put on charity fashion show in Maidstone
- CHARITY: League donates £50k to Maidstone Hospital
- WARNING: Stay out of lakes after 'deadly bird bug' outbreak in Maidstone
- M20 UPDATE: Lanes remain blocked following vehicle blaze
- 5 YEARS: Dangerous driver jailed after killing 22-year-old man near Maidstone
- COURT: Serial shoplifter Matthew Gillett stole hoover to buy heroin in Maidstone
- ALERT: M20 closed as fire crews fight vehicle blaze