Boxer Jack puts club on the map
Wednesday 11th June 2014
A MEMBER of Snodland Amateur Boxing Club member has won a Kent Boxing Club championship and qualified for the Southern Counties championships.
Jack Burren (14), of Halling, joined the club when he was nine. His dad Mark, who used to be an Ashby amateur boxer, is a coach at the club. Jack boxes in the category of boys born in 1999 weighing between 70 and 75kg.
Mark said his son was not a natural boxer and had worked hard to gain the standard he has reached.
Club chairman Dave Phillips said Jack had put the club back on the map.
“We have not been doing too well, just jogging along," he said. "He has come along, full of enthusiasm and is the sixth Kent champion we have had. We needed something to happen and, thanks to Jack, it has.”
The club meets at Snodland Community Centre every Tuesday and Thursday.
- OUT NOW! Pick up the latest edition or read online
- CCTV APPEAL: Car with false number plates linked to Maidstone fuel theft
- LATEST: Person hit by train at West Malling railway station
- BREAKING: Person hit by train near Maidstone
- HAZLITT LATEST: Maidstone performers share their talents to unite theatre-lovers
- CUSTODY: Man charged following knifepoint robbery in Maidstone
- BAILED: Woman 'spilt noxious substance' on shop worker in Maidstone
- HOUSING: Otham 440-houses appeal closes - Maidstone awaits its fate