Boxer Jack puts club on the map
Wednesday 11th June 2014
A MEMBER of Snodland Amateur Boxing Club member has won a Kent Boxing Club championship and qualified for the Southern Counties championships.
Jack Burren (14), of Halling, joined the club when he was nine. His dad Mark, who used to be an Ashby amateur boxer, is a coach at the club. Jack boxes in the category of boys born in 1999 weighing between 70 and 75kg.
Mark said his son was not a natural boxer and had worked hard to gain the standard he has reached.
Club chairman Dave Phillips said Jack had put the club back on the map.
“We have not been doing too well, just jogging along," he said. "He has come along, full of enthusiasm and is the sixth Kent champion we have had. We needed something to happen and, thanks to Jack, it has.”
The club meets at Snodland Community Centre every Tuesday and Thursday.
- BIRTHDAY APPEAL: Can you help Ivy Watson mark her 100th birthday?
- 'DRINK DRIVE': Katy Sue Lafferty up in court on Monday on booze charges
- CLOSED: Road to shut for street light works near Maidstone
- VILLAGE CLOSURE: Road to shut with no diversion route
- POLICE FIGURES: More than 10% of Kent's sex offenders live in Maidstone
- Leeds am-dram raises £400 for charities after summer plays
- LATEST: 'Extinct' Maidstone bee found in country parkland
- BREAKING: Multiple traffic lights not working in Maidstone