CHRISTMAS: Mote Park ice festival cancelled by borough council
Thursday 10th October 2019
A SHOWPIECE Christmas event in Mote Park being staged by Maidstone Borough Council (MBC) has been cancelled.
The green space was to be transformed into the county town’s “Ice Park” from December 21 to January 5.
The fortnight of family fun was to feature a rink, a slide, Father Christmas and his grotto and dodgems on ice.
MBC confirmed that contractual demands from an Italian company supplying an ice rink meant organisers could not afford to run it.
With time running out, it was decided to cancel the event.
An MBC spokesman said: “The decision was made following requests from the Ice Park Maidstone organiser to the equipment suppliers to personally guarantee the event equipment arriving from Europe.
"Having failed to reach an agreement with the suppliers the decision was made by the organiser to cancel the event for this year and pursue an alternative supplier for a 2020 event.
"MBCand the Ice Park Maidstone organiser were not willing sign off on this event without the public's interests being guaranteed and due to the lack of time to reinstate an alternative supplier, the decision has been made to cancel this year’s event."
No public money had been spent on the venture. Organisers have been taking bookings since June.
- HOUSING: Campaign petition starts against Lib Dem council's 14-floor tower block
- FINED: Jason Yardley drunkenly smashed his way out of bus in Maidstone
- Leeds land could be used for retirement complex expansion
- TRAFFIC NEWS: Broken down bus causing delays in Maidstone
- COURT SHAME: Gareth Bailey threatened to torch girlfriend's house in Maidstone
- M20 ROADWORKS: Delays, disruption and diversions - full details
- COURT: Carl Bailey's drunken outburst at police in Maidstone town centre
- Expert gives talk on menopause - details