CLOSING: NatWest to shut next year in West Malling
Monday 6th December 2021
NATWEST in West Malling will close its doors next year as more customers switching to mobile banking has resulted in fewer people coming into the bank.
The Swan Street branch had just five regular customers in 2019 and will be closing on April 7 2022.
Counter transactions at the branch also decreased by 44% between 2017 and 2019.
A Natwest spokesman said: “I can confirm that our West Malling branch on Swan Street will be closing on April 7, 2022.
“The branch was used by five personal customers regularly in 2019. In 2019, 56% of personal customers using the branch also chose to use digital banking.
“For info as well, customers can make use of services in the nearby Post Office and the nearest NatWest is in Larkfield, just under two miles away.”
A dedicated support line for older customers, who may feel uncomfortable using digital banking services, has been set up as a result of the closure.
The line is open 8am to 8pm seven days a week with shorter waiting times. Call 0800 051 4176.
A spokesman added: “As with many industries, most of our customers are shifting to mobile and online banking, because it’s faster and easier for people to manage their financial lives.
“We understand and recognise that digital solutions aren’t right for everyone or every situation, and that when we close branches we have to make sure that no one is left behind.
“We take our responsibility seriously to support the people who face challenges in moving online, so we are investing to provide them with support and alternatives that work for them.”
- A249 SMASH: Woman airlifted to hospital after crash - full details
- M20 SHUTS: Drivers face disruption - traffic spilling into A20
- RSPB Big Garden Birdwatch is back - see how you can take part
- HEALTH REPORT: 'Inadequate' Albion Place Medical Centre in special measures
- Graffiti artists find their work blitzed by high-pressure sprayers in clean-up
- STOLEN: £3,000 electric bicycle pinched outside Maidstone bank
- M20 COLLISION: Dog survives M-way hit with vehicle - details
- M20 DEATH: Man found dead near motorway, say police