CORONAVIRUS: Maidstone sticking to the Prime Minister's Monday lockdown rules
Wednesday 25th March 2020
Whatever Prime Minister Boris Johnson said on Monday night - the people of Maidstone have certainly listened.
On day two of near lockdown in Britain and the same day as it was announced Prince Charles has been diagnosed with coronavirus, the streets of the county town are pretty much deserted.
Two days ago, the Prime Minister, in an address watched by 27 milion Britons, effectively confined people to their homes and pressed numerous other measures designed in keeping the spread of the COVID-19 disease at bay.
Shops are shut and streets empty of shoppers. Earl Street, a magnet for young people, theatre-goers, and diners, is eerily quiet today.
Anyone around were either alone or in couples, taking exercise or walking dogs.
All along the A274 and the A20 saw people out exercising but keeping their distanhce from other people.
In Mote Park, the car park and play areas are shut. But everyone using the open space was obeying the strict social distancing rules. There were no gatherings.
Villages such as Bearsted, Leeds and Headcorn were also quiet apart from the odd resident taking exercise.
The Tesco car park in Grove Green was much emptier than usual and far fewer customers inside. Many check out assistants had no customers.
Local people appeared to be sticking to the PM's plea for "infrequent" visits to the shops.
Many supermarket shelves remain empty of pasta, rice, soup, toilet rolls, soaps and beer.
PM BORIS Johnson said people would only be allowed to leave home for specific purposes:
- Shopping for basic necessities, as infrequently as possible. People should use delivery services where they can;
- Medical reasons, to help a vulnerable person;
- Travelling to and from work, but only if it is absolutely necessary
- The measures will last until mid-April before being reviewed.
- OUT NOW! Pick up the latest edition or read online
- HEATWAVE: Temperatures to hit 34C this afternoon in Maidstone
- LATEST: 495 active Covid-19 cases in Maidstone
- OVERNIGHT: Blue Bell Hill to shut - details
- UPDATE: Bearsted road closure rescheduled - details
- LATEST: Speed limit plan backed near Maidstone
- LEEDS CASTLE: Attraction faces huge losses and job cuts
- CCTV APPEAL: Purse stolen from car in Maidstone - can you help?