COURT: Christopher Dance used flashing blue lights to pull over driver on M2
Friday 8th November 2019
A MAIDSTONE man, who used a flashing blue light to pull over a driver on the M2, narrowly cheated jail this morning after pleas from the dock.
Christopher Dance, 33, of Redstart Avenue, appeared before a district judge last Friday charged with impersonating a police officer and using threatening behaviour in October.
After admitting pulling a car over on the motorway using 999-style lights and having a row with police officers at the time of his arrest, he appeared before Maidstone magistrates for sentencing..
The court heard that the male motorist who Dance tried to stop was suspicious and called police because the defendant had three children in the back of his car.
The bench at Maidstone Magistrates Court had the option of sending Dance, a plumber, to jail.
He already has a record for similar threatening and abusive offences dating back 10 years.
He said that he was determined to set a good example to his children in the future.
Dance told the court: "I'm not a horrible person - I'm a genuinely, nice person and I get on with everybody. But I'm not saying that I am an angel because you can see my criminal record."
Magistrates accepted he was trying to change his behaviour for the sake of three children.
Dance was jailed for 12 weeks, suspended for 18 months, and must undertake a special programme and do unpaid work. He was ordered to pay £207 in costs and victim surcharge.
The defendant was warned he will go to prison if he breaks the terms of the suspended sentence.
- CLOSED: Road to shut for three days near Maidstone
- MET OFFICE: Forecasters warn of flooding in Maidstone
- WARNING: Road shuts for five days to fix water leak near Maidstone
- TONIGHT: Gritters to tackle rural roads near Maidstone
- APPEAL: Maidstone carer 'living in fear' after £10k cash theft
- GALLERY: Remembrance Sunday pictures in Maidstone last weekend
- M20 CRASH: Lorry and car collide causing major delays near Maidstone
- LATEST: East Malling suspect charged following robbery