COURT: Maidstone child sex offender Jake Maytum dodges jail
Wednesday 23rd June 2021
A CHILD sex offender dodged a year behind bars after illegally downloading 93 indecent images of children.
Jake Maytum (21), of Brishing Lane, Maidstone, accessed the photographs online along with six movies.
Prosecutor Ian Foinette said police found various images on a tower computer system during a surprise visit to his home in November 2019.
Mr Foinette said: “He began looking at images on what he called ‘the dark web’ and says initially he was disgusted by what he saw. He did not know why he kept going back to them. He said he wanted to see if the sites had taken down the images.”
Defending Tom Stern said Maytum, who is on the autistic spectrum, had an “isolated personality” due to years of bullying at school.
Mr Stern said: “He struggled all through school with his communication and presentation."
Judge Charles Gratwicke said: “I note you have some personal difficulties, but they cannot excuse this. I am also aware that you have had this hanging over your head since November 2019. So, it is in your hands now.
“Leave this court. Don’t come back. If you have any worries you should talk to your father, that is what he is there for."
Maytum pleaded guilty to two counts of making an indecent photograph of a child and possessing prohibited images of children.
He was sentenced to a three-year community order, 35 rehabilitation meetings, and 100 hours of community service to be completed within 15 months.
- CLOSED: Village road to shut
- WARNING: Fallen tree shuts road near Maidstone
- CCTV APPEAL: Man in his 60s targeted in distraction cash theft
- VAN CRASH: Two men arrested following 'motorcycle theft' near Maidstone
- LIB DEM CRISIS: Two more council resignations being considered
- LOCAL BOOST: Elmer Parade's £7m injection into local economy
- COVID-19 LATEST: Children aged 12 to 15 to be offered jab
- WARNING: Heavy rain to hit Maidstone tonight