Council pays £7m to buy Maidstone House - full details
Tuesday 18th January 2022
MAIDSTONE House, the six floor building in King Street, has been bought by the borough council.
The authority is currently a tenant but has secured the office space as part of £7.07m deal.
Maidstone Borough Council was paying up a £1m a year in rent but decided to buy the 199 year lease instead from owners Captial & Regional, which owns the The Mall Shopping centre.
Council leader Cllr David Burton said: "This represents a massive saving for the taxpayer.
"We will able to rent empty space out to subsidise its costs. This was being talked about for years by the Liberal Democrat leadership but we have done something about it. They were even going to spend tens of millions on a swanky new office for themselves but that would never have represented good value for taxpayers, in my view."
Funding for the purchase comes from the council’s internal resources and Public Works Loan Board borrowing, which is low risk and low cost.
PIC DANNY P ROBINSON
- SOUTH EAST WATER: Anger over noisy night work in village near Maidstone
- SOUTHERN WATER: Sewage company 'blames householders' for sewage discharges
- HEATHER HOUSE: Bowls club can no longer play due to community centre closure
- NEW: Knotweed data shows 'map' of infestations in Maidstone
- LATEST: 'Anti-terrorism' gates installed in Maidstone
- COURT: Maidstone man Mark Bond killed deer and caused harm to his dog
- 999 CRASH: Main road blocked in Maidstone - delays
- CUSTODY: Three arrested after stolen car police chase near Maidstone