DIGGING IN: Allotment holders in Bearsted fight 'smaller' plot plans on new site
Wednesday 9th June 2021
PLANS to move allotment holders at Bearsted have taken their campaign of opposition from the Press to social media.
Save Bearsted Allotments now appears on both Facebook and Twitter after proposals by Bearsted Parish Council caused major concerns among gardeners.
They claim they were not properly consulted and fear they will end up with smaller sites on a new area.
The parish council acquired the land last month and announced a consultation on proposals to move the allotments, creating more plots, while extending the car park by Holy Cross church and providing two new tennis courts.
But the BPC plans have been met with stiff opposition to increase the number of allotments from 27 to 48 and the council claims the plot size has "not been finanlised".
BPC has set aside £100,000 of public money to carry out the work.
A spokesman said the parish hopes to work alongside the allotment holders.
Richard Strable wrote on Facebook: "I will say knowing little about allotments, one thing I do suspect is that an allotment takes time, years to mature. "So, any upheaval or relocation would be detrimental for many reasons. And in this current society there's a lot more reasons to keep the allotments exactly where they are. Hope it stays put."
A BPC spokesman said the soil quality is not inferior to that at the current site.
FULL STORY IN THE NEXT EDITION OF DOWNS MAIL, OUT ON JUNE 17
- WITNESS APPEAL: Mass brawl at cup final in Maidstone
- APPEAL: Man 'exposed himself in front of dog walker' in woods near Maidstone
- LATEST: Man in his 30s arrested after Maidstone town centre assault
- BAILED: John Devall 'spat at nurse and verbally abused officers' in Maidstone
- M2: £92million upgrade works given the go ahead
- M20 DELAYS: Lorry tyre change blocks lane near Maidstone
- HEART OF KENT HOSPICE: Elmer sculpture vandalised on launch day
- LATEST: Thunderstorm alert changed to rain warning