DUMPED: 19 mice abandoned at notorious fly-tipping hotspot
Wednesday 14th April 2021
ANIMAL welfare charity, the RSPCA, is asking for help after 19 mice were found dumped in a box near Maidstone.
The rodents were discovered by a dog walker at a notorious fly-tipping hotspot at the junction of Boxley Road and Sandy Lane on Monday morning (April 12).
The mice were left with food and water as if to encourage them to leave the box but the RSPCA say they would never have survived.
Animal rescue officer Emma Byrne said: “The mice were inside a cardboard food pouches box with bedding and the box was inside a plastic storage crate with cardboard lining.
"It had been left on its side, open and with a plastic pot with water just outside. It’s almost as if they’d been left to encourage them to venture into the undergrowth but they never would have survived in the wild.
“A dog walker found the mice and took the box home before calling us. He was worried they’d freeze as the temperature was so cold. The mice all seem healthy although we believe some of the females may be pregnant and it looks as though the males have been fighting.”
They are now in the care of staff at the RSPCA Leybourne Animal Centre where they have been split into suitable pairs and groups.
An RSPCA spokesman added: "Some of the mice are currently sick and are being treated by vets. If they’re not claimed then they’ll be rehomed when they’re ready.
“It was incredibly irresponsible to dump the mice like this and to encourage them to escape into the wild. We’d like to hear from anyone with any information about these mice so please call us on 0300 123 8018 if you can help our enquiries.”
- LATEST: Confusing parking and fines 'driving trade away' from village
- HOUSING CRISIS: Indy councillors call for Local Plan review extension
- URGENT APPEAL: Two miniature dachshunds stolen in East Farleigh burglary
- XMAS: Tony Hudgell to sing carols with the Duchess of Cambridge tomorrow
- BREAKING: Crash blocks main road in Maidstone - details
- CLOSING: NatWest to shut next year in West Malling
- OPEN: Tesco shop and petrol station is back in business
- GAS WORKS: Temporary lights on main road in Aylesford