Detling to lose 333 and 334 Arriva off-peak bus services
Tuesday 17th May 2016
Kent bus operator Arriva is making cuts to the 333 and 334 services - which operate between Sheerness, Sittingbourne, Maidstone and Faversham - claiming they are under-used.
From May 29 most buses will go directly via the A249, avoiding the M20 interchange.
The service will no longer serve Detling village during off peak times, but buses travelling towards Maidstone will run via the village before 9am on weekdays, with one return journey to serve school children.
The company claims just four people a day use the off peak buses.
Glen Shuttleworth, Head of Operations at Arriva, said: “The route change offers longer-distance customers a more direct service and will avoid the traffic congestion on the M20.
“Unfortunately, an average of just over four people a day use the service from Detling village and the complexity of serving the village makes this unsustainable moving forward.
"However, we have been working with Kent County Council to ensure that Detling continues to be served by buses and a replacement service will be provided.”
Phil Lightowler, Head of Public Transport at Kent County Council, commented: “The routing of service 333/334 to serve Detling village, as a consequence of the highway layout, adds significant time to each journey and as a result KCC has funded the diversion of this service into Detling village for a number of years.
“We have now agreed with Arriva, that through the re-direction of this funding, that the service will continue to serve the village during peak times and in the off-peak we are providing an alternative service, more tailored to demand from the village and utilising a more appropriate sized vehicle.”
- WARNING: Road shuts for tree cutting works near Maidstone
- M20 DELAYS: Incident causing issues this morning - details
- LENHAM HEATH: Now the Labour group leader pulls out of Friday's public meeting
- TONIGHT: M20 to shut overnight near Maidstone
- M20 CHAOS: Broken down lorry sparks MORE disruption near Maidstone
- M20 TRAFFIC: Collision blocks lane near Maidstone
- BEARSTED: HGV mounts pavement near The Green
- TRAFFIC WARNING: Road shuts for SEVEN days to clear flytipping near Maidstone