End of season concert
Wednesday 11th June 2014
Internationally-renowned brass players Glenn Van Looy and Brett Baker will join Maidstone Wind Symphony for its final concert of the 2013/14 season at All Saints’ Church, Maidstone, on Saturday, June 14.
Euphonium virtuoso Van Looy will headline the first half with a performance of Nigel Clarke’s dark and menacing The City in the Sea.
He will then be joined by Maidstone Wind Symphony principal trumpeter Kevin Ashman to perform Tom Davoren’s Ascension.
Trombonist Baker will take centre stage in the second half for a performance of Rob Wiffin’s Trombone Concerto, which was written especially for him.
Both soloists will hold masterclass workshops for brass players at All Saints’ Church on the morning of the concert. Further information is available on the Maidstone Wind Symphony website.
Maidstone Wind Symphony will also be entertaining concertgoers with the second ever performance of Nicola Renshaw’s Y Seren Ddawns, a lively piece inspired by Shakespeare’s Much Ado About Nothing, and highlights from Philip Sparke’s Ode to Scotland, Hymn of the Highlands.
Tickets cost £10 for adults, £8 for concessions and children under 12 go free. Buy them at www.maidstonewindsymphony.org or call 01732 366500. Masterclass places can be reserved at a cost of £10 per person.
- OUT NOW! Pick up the latest edition or read online
- CCTV APPEAL: Car with false number plates linked to Maidstone fuel theft
- LATEST: Person hit by train at West Malling railway station
- BREAKING: Person hit by train near Maidstone
- HAZLITT LATEST: Maidstone performers share their talents to unite theatre-lovers
- CUSTODY: Man charged following knifepoint robbery in Maidstone
- BAILED: Woman 'spilt noxious substance' on shop worker in Maidstone
- HOUSING: Otham 440-houses appeal closes - Maidstone awaits its fate