FINED: Reece Waters, 19, broke door at McDonald's after dispute with security
Friday 19th July 2019
A DRUNK teenager cracked a window at McDonald’s after a screaming match with a security guard in the centre of Maidstone.
Reece Waters (19,) previously of Church Crescent in Harrietsham but now living in Maidstone carried a tube of sour cream and onion Pringles into the dock with him on a single charge of criminal damage.
Prosecuting, James Nichols told Maidstone Magistrates Court: “At around 7pm on June 14, Waters entered McDonald’s with a group of friends. He appeared agitated and began shouting at security until his friends held him back. He then kicked and hit the door causing it to crack.
“McDonald’s had to pay £1,089 to get it fixed so I would ask that some compensation is awarded.”
Defending, Jag Takk said: “Mr Waters is 19 years old and suffers from autism, ADHD and Asperger’s syndrome. When he was 15 his dad died of a heart condition, meaning his mum had to look after him and his siblings alone."
After his mother left, said Mr Takk, "he lived with his younger brother and had to endure a host of problems with rent, bailiffs and care.
“His younger brother is now in care. However, Mr Water hasn’t turned to crime. I’m aware he is here today for a criminal mater but he hasn’t gone round stealing from houses or anything like that to make ends meet.
“The background here is he was drunk at the time, recognised the security guard who has had previous alterations with a cousin of his, took the situation upon himself and ended up kicking the door. He was then quickly arrested. It is safe to say today he has taken proceedings very seriously.”
Chairman of the bench, Gary Knight said: “Unfortunate. It’s a shame to spoil your clean record with something so silly. Do you have a temper? I think you need to learn to count to 10.”
Waters pleaded guilty to criminal damage and was given a 12 month conditional discharge and a £605 fine.
- CHARGED: Suspected Maidstone shoplifter Liam Chapman, 33, to appear in court
- BURGLARY: Limited edition cartoon figurine stolen near Maidstone - can you help?
- LATEST: Police launch investigation following 'child-snatching' incident
- PANTO REVIEW: Mother Goose at the Marlowe Theatre
- M20 ROADWORKS: more disruption in the next seven days
- ELECTION: Boris Johnson and Jeremy Corbyn in Maidstone today - details
- 'CHILD SNATCH': Police say no reports of alleged abduction in Maidstone
- BLAZE: Person injured in tumble dryer fire in Maidstone