FIREWORKS: Drive-in spectacular planned for Kent Showgrounds - full details
Thursday 29th October 2020
A KENT fireworks display company has saved the day for fans of pyrotechnics in Maidstone this bonfire season.
Phoenix Fireworks has secured the Kent County Showgrounds in Detling as a venue for a drive-in musical spectacular.
Nearly all local public shows, including those at Leeds Castle, are off this year because of the impact of COVID-19.
Wortham-based Phoenix was unable to break through red tape to stage a 10,000 capacity show.
So instead the firm worked with Kent County Council to come up with 2,000 car per night displays on November 13 and November 14.
And tickets are already selling fast, says operations director Will Defries.
He added: "There is nothing else on. Everything is being cancelled, so we decided to see if we could get a big spectator event at Detling but the council was understandably jittery about it.
"But we eventually came up with the compromise of a drive-in show for 2,000 cars on each of the two nights with COVID-19 guidelines."
As the display takes place, the cars' occupants can tune into a radio frequncy which pipes in the music and sounds.
Mr Defries has left the option of a third night open as ticket sales have been so brisk.
He added: "People want to go out and do something with their families at bonfire time. We're offering them a chance to have some fun."
The Pyromusical Fireworks Display is on from 5.30pm - 8.30pm Tickets cost £35 per car.
- CLOSED: Village road to shut
- WARNING: Fallen tree shuts road near Maidstone
- CCTV APPEAL: Man in his 60s targeted in distraction cash theft
- VAN CRASH: Two men arrested following 'motorcycle theft' near Maidstone
- LIB DEM CRISIS: Two more council resignations being considered
- LOCAL BOOST: Elmer Parade's £7m injection into local economy
- COVID-19 LATEST: Children aged 12 to 15 to be offered jab
- WARNING: Heavy rain to hit Maidstone tonight