Farmers and officers unite for day of action to detect crimes in Maidstone
Thursday 8th November 2018
OFFICERS from the Rural Task Force are joining forces with local farmers, landowners and residents to tackle crime in rural areas as part of a national day of action.
The team are running an operation in which members of the rural community will be out and about today in Swale and Maidstone supporting the police if they spot suspicious activity.
The action is aimed at trying to discover crimes as they are being committed and therefore increase the opportunities for a positive result.
Police will be on the lookout for people poaching or attempting to steal or damaging property.
Sergeant Darren Walshaw, who is co-ordinating the effort said: “Though we are keen to raise awareness of what can be done to tackle rural crime, the day is very much business as usual for my officers.
“We run this initiative regularly and it has proven to be invaluable in terms of building confidence with the rural community whilst also tackling crimes that cause them concern.
“Local farmers and residents will be on alert throughout the day, looking for anything suspicious. If they see anything that concerns them they can call the police and we will be patrolling nearby so we can respond quickly.
“This approach is one that the farming community have shown a particular interest in and allows us to capture best evidence and increases the likelihood of being able to bring criminal proceedings against those who commit crime in rural communities.”
- Landowner reveals 1,000 homes plans as council 'call for sites' deadline passes
- WARNING: Restrictions in place from next week on rural road - details
- Shaina Marston and Damian Parsonage accused of stealing meat and Easter eggs
- CRASH: Collision blocks roundabout near Maidstone - expect long delays
- Busy village road near Maidstone to shut for urgent road works
- Drunken science teacher smashed car into lamp post in Maidstone
- LIFE IN PRISON: Minimum 32 years for house blaze killer Simon Childs
- Tributes to Lib Dem activist and ex-Mayor Brian Mortimer who died this morning