Father reunites with daughter after 56 years through Facebook
Wednesday 29th January 2020
A LENHAM man’s life was changed when Facebook's “suggested friends” feature reunited him with his long-lost daughter after 56 years.
Retired electrician Trevor Sinden, 72, of Headcorn Road, was just 15 years old when his first-born daughter was adopted in the early 1960s, when having a child out of marriage was taboo.
Mother of four Karen Harris, 56, from Penryn, Cornwall, says meeting her father for the first time was an experience she would “never trade for the world.”
Karen had been trying to track her dad down since the age of 18, when she approached an adoption agency trying to find her birth parents, but there were very few details to go by.
Mr Sinden, who has lived in Lenham for nearly 30 years, tearfully told Downs Mail: “I’ve been on cloud nine ever since November when I first received her message on Facebook. I never thought I’d meet her.
“I often wondered what they would be like and where they were in the world. It’s really strange because she had been in my thoughts just days before the message came through.
“I recognised her as soon as she sent a picture of herself, as my other three daughters have really similar features.
“When we met in Lyme Regis, we just ran towards each other and hugged. It felt like all our Christmases had come at once. If it wasn't for Facebook we wouldn't have met."
The pair were reunited after Karen messaged him complimenting him on his photos from the 60s on a Croydon community page.
Mrs Harris said: “I don’t feel so lost anymore. Don’t get me wrong, I am very grateful to my adoptive parents for the years we have had together and will continue to have but his is a connection, a completion of who I biologically am.”
- GUILTY: Violent bully David Brown faces jail for assault and coercive control
- JAILED: Trucker Jeremy Didesse, 44, chatted on phone before M20 multiple pile-up
- M20 ROADWORKS: Delays, closures and diversions next week
- EXCLUSIVE: Archbishop's Palace could be turned into posh boutique hotel
- M20 DELAYS: Crash causes problems this rush hour
- CHARGED: Anthony Bashford, 46, 'stole' bank card to buy cigarettes and alcohol
- DAVID BROWN: My accuser is a 'raging coke head' - attack trial told
- FLY-TIPPING: We must start to police this scourge - campaigner Simon Webb