Footgolf hat-trick for Ambrose
Friday 25th September 2015
Cobtree Manor Park Golf Course's recently reconfigured nine-hole footgolf course was the setting for a highly competitive open stroke play tournament that attracted a field of 52 players.
Footgolfers from all over Kent - including Folkestone, Dartford, Gillingham, and Ashford – came to n Maidstone for this official UK Footgolf Association ranking event, and given that four of Dan Ambrose's Kent Invicta squadmates (Karl May, Steve Baker, Dan Spice, and Chris Anderson) were in Yorkshire preparing for the final regional open of the season, the Medway-based county player was considered the one under most pressure at the start of proceedings.
The early clubhouse lead was set by Kent Dynamo Valerijs Jemeljanovs, whose crisp five-under-par 71 in the opening threeball of the day stood as the benchmark for the majority of the day.
However, Ambrose swept aside any notion of competition day tension by besting Jemeljanovs's 18-hole tally by five strokes in the early evening sunshine to take victory and make it a hat-trick of Kent Footgolf tournament wins this season.
Credit, too, to Jack Davis on hitting a hole-in-one on the fourth and to Tristan Knowles on doing the same on the thirteenth.
Ambrose received a £60 Europa Sports voucher and a £30 UK Footgolf voucher.
On the Sunday afternoon, meanwhile, Chatham's Karl May and West Kingsdown's Steve Baker finished second and third (behind Yorkshire's Tom Spink) after a playoff for firstt place at the aforementioned 2015 UK Masters at Footgolf York.
The object of footgolf is to complete a round in as few kicks or strokes as possible. Footgolfers employ a variety of precision shots to kick a football from tee to cup.
To view the final standings from the Cobtree Manor Park Footgolf tournament, click here.
- BREAKING: Vehicle hits bridge near Maidstone - all train lines blocked
- WARNING: Temporary traffic lights on main road near Maidstone
- CRASH DELAYS: Busy road blocked following RTC in Maidstone
- JAILED: Text pest Tim Mumford faked his death to harass woman PC - court
- GBBO: Tom from Maidstone first to leave Great British Bake Off show on Channel 4
- CCTV APPEAL: Ramp for disabled visitors stolen from dental practice
- COURT: Katy Sue Lafferty to stand trial for drink driving
- WARNING: Crash blocks busy road in Maidstone