Free electric car parking victory for Maidstone residents
Wednesday 10th February 2021
COUNCILLORS have voted unanimously to allow free parking in the borough to electric vehicles.
Conservative Cllr David Burton argued that it could save someone travelling to the county town for work up to £140 per month.
The measure would apply to council car parks and off-street parking.
Officers argued for a 50% discount, but Cllr Burton suggested Maidstone Borough Council must commit to promises on air quality and climate change.
He said: "We talk the talk about climate change and air quality. It's about time we actually started to do something that actually makes a difference."
The plan would help to make elelctric cars more affordable and make a "tangible improvement to air quality", especially in hot spots for bad air quality such as Upper Stone Street, the Fountain Junction or at the Wheatsheaf where traffic often sits polluting with an engine running."
Cllr Burton fended off calls for an impact review and the motion was passed unanimously cross-party.
FULL STORY IN NEXT EDITION OF DOWNS MAIL
- MURDER: MPs pay tribute to Sir David Amess following stabbing
- COVID: Wedding bookings expected to return to 'normal levels' next month
- WILDLIFE: Daddy long legs in 'harmless' invasion
- MAIDSTONE: Brothers keep sporting ambition in the family
- SURVEY: Speeding is 'routine' in Bearsted
- LATEST: Biffa 'sorry' for noisy pre-dawn collections across Maidstone
- WEST MALLING: Unsafe lime trees to be felled at church
- LATEST: Mosque 'will be place for whole community'