Government hands council £375,000 to help Maidstone's homeless
Tuesday 28th January 2020
A SCHEME to help the homeless has been awarded £375,000 from central Government to keep rough sleepers off the streets of Maidstone.
The funding is part of an extra £112m shared among local authorities to tackle homelessness.
After receiving initial funding as part of the Rough Sleeping Initiative (RSI) in September 2018 the the council Outreach team has provided support including specialist health clinicians and places to stay.
Since then, the team has worked with 178 people.
MBC housing spokesman John Littlemore said: “We are delighted to be awarded this funding through the Rough Sleeping Initiative..."
The most recent homeless street count in January 2020 showed that there were zero people rough sleeping in the town centre.
- GUILTY: Violent bully David Brown faces jail for assault and coercive control
- JAILED: Trucker Jeremy Didesse, 44, chatted on phone before M20 multiple pile-up
- M20 ROADWORKS: Delays, closures and diversions next week
- EXCLUSIVE: Archbishop's Palace could be turned into posh boutique hotel
- M20 DELAYS: Crash causes problems this rush hour
- CHARGED: Anthony Bashford, 46, 'stole' bank card to buy cigarettes and alcohol
- DAVID BROWN: My accuser is a 'raging coke head' - attack trial told
- FLY-TIPPING: We must start to police this scourge - campaigner Simon Webb