Grove Green Tesco bosses encouraged travellers to move on
Thursday 8th September 2016
Tesco bosses in Grove Green have told how they "encouraged" a large group of travellers who had descended on its car park last weekend to leave.
Members of the group were accused of causing disruption, allegedly stealing goods from the store and using the toilets as a shower/wet room.
Local residents told how the travellers left filth and mess behind in the car park, including human waste.
They arrived on saturday and parked caravans and other vehciles near tyhe staff entrance to the store.
Bosses had to shut the store two hours early because of the disturbance, according to sources in contact with Downs Mail.
Police were called to a disturbance at the Early Bird pub after closing time after travellers allegedly smashed glasses.
A Tesco spokesman said: "The store manager has informed me that travellers arrived on the site on Saturday, stayed the night and were gone by Sunday lunch time.
"The store and local pub worked with the police to encourage them to move on, and have not returned since."
Kent Police has been approached this morning for an update on the progress of the inquiry.
- A249 SMASH: Woman airlifted to hospital after crash - full details
- M20 SHUTS: Drivers face disruption - traffic spilling into A20
- RSPB Big Garden Birdwatch is back - see how you can take part
- HEALTH REPORT: 'Inadequate' Albion Place Medical Centre in special measures
- Graffiti artists find their work blitzed by high-pressure sprayers in clean-up
- STOLEN: £3,000 electric bicycle pinched outside Maidstone bank
- M20 COLLISION: Dog survives M-way hit with vehicle - details
- M20 DEATH: Man found dead near motorway, say police