HIT AND RUN DEATH: East Malling's Gary Haffenden jailed for killing father
Wednesday 14th April 2021
AN EAST Malling man has been jailed for three years for two hit-and-run incidents in which one man was killed and another seriously injured.
Following a Thames Valley Police investigation, Gary Haffenden (21), of Wateringbury Road, Kent was sentenced April 6 at Reading Crown Court after admitting his crimes.
Haffenden pleaded guilty to one count each of causing serious injury by dangerous driving, causing death by careless driving, causing death whilst uninsured and failing to stop after a road accident.
He was disqualified from driving for four years and six months.
The court heard in August 2018, Haffenden was driving in Lower Road, Minster, Kent when he collided head on with another car travelling in the opposite direction. The driver of the other vehicle sustained life changing injuries. Haffenden did not stop at the scene.
Then in March, 2019, he was driving along Wraysbury Road, Wraysbury, when he was involved in a collision with a pedestrian, a 35-year-old father, who sadly died at the scene. Haffenden did not stop.
Investigating officer, PC Joy Jarvis, of the Joint Operations Roads Policing Unit, said: “I am pleased that Haffenden has now been sentenced for these offences.
“His actions were completely unacceptable, driving away from the scene after both incidents.
“He has also been banned from driving for a considerable amount of time and I hope this allows him to reflect on his driving and the danger he put other road users in.”
- COURT: Council takes first step towards clearing up Embankments restaurant
- 999: Paramedic recognised for more than 37 years' service
- LATEST: Business 'booming' for local restaurants
- LATEST: Plan to open all Kent libraries
- KINGS HILL: New leaders shake up troubled parish council
- MP HELEN WHATELY: Call to extend power to stop illegal lorry parking
- CAPTAIN PETER TOWNSEND: Royal lover's medals sold
- WARNING: Alarming reports of toxic hogweed in Maidstone