HOUSING CRISIS: Marden escapes the bulldozers - but for how long?
Friday 20th November 2020
THE threat of a 2,000 home “garden village” in Marden is off the table - for now.
Marden, to be developed by Countryside Properties, was one of four sites for huge housing schemes as Maidstone Borough Council reviews its Local Plan.
A consultation takes place next month but campaigner Claudine Russell told supporters not to rip up their protest posters just yet.
Mrs Russell, pictured with husband Tristan, added: “I don’t suppose this will be last we have heard from these developers. We have to be realistic – no village will get nothing."
But DHA planning consultant Chris Hawkins, representing the developer, argued the Marden application was more appropriate to the needs of the Local Plan review than the council’s own 4,000 home plan at Lenham Heath.
FULL STORY IN THE LATEST EDITION OF DOWNS MAIL AVAILABLE FOR PICK UP TODAY
- OUT NOW! Pick up the latest edition or read online
- CCTV APPEAL: Car with false number plates linked to Maidstone fuel theft
- LATEST: Person hit by train at West Malling railway station
- BREAKING: Person hit by train near Maidstone
- HAZLITT LATEST: Maidstone performers share their talents to unite theatre-lovers
- CUSTODY: Man charged following knifepoint robbery in Maidstone
- BAILED: Woman 'spilt noxious substance' on shop worker in Maidstone
- HOUSING: Otham 440-houses appeal closes - Maidstone awaits its fate