HOUSING: How the Somerfield Hospital site will look - planning application in
Tuesday 22nd September 2020
THIS is how the Somerfield Hospital site in Maidstone will look after its conversion into flats.
Around 80 units will be included in the London Road development in London Road.
The former private hospital, which is grade II listed, was originally housing before the Somerfield took it over in 1990.
An adjacent building will be demolished for an apartment block.
Local ward borough councillor Jonathan Purle said: "The pictures are very pretty and the plan nicely restores the building but I am concerned there are too many units for the site. There appears to be insuffficient financial contributions towards infrastructure.
"My specific concerns right now are privacy for the immediate neighbours, parking stresses for nearby streets and London Road traffic - as well as safety of school children."
"But it beats churning up ancient woodland to build on."
The application, submitted by the Even Group, can be accessed by clicking onto maidstone.cc/somer1.
We have approached the Even Group for a comment.
Application number - 20/504127/FULL
FULL STORY IN THE NEXT EDITION OF DOWNS MAIL, FORTNIGHTLY AND FREE
- OUT NOW! Pick up the latest edition or read online
- GBH CHARGE: Maidstone man Jordan Broad 'attacked woman'
- GRIDLOCK: Village near Maidstone grinds to a halt for traveller funeral
- UPDATE: Sutton Valence pub is saved
- LATEST: £1m plan to rebuild much-loved community centre in Maidstone
- LATEST: Yalding post office faces closure
- RICHARD GREENWOOD: Fifty years fighting for Lenham village
- JAILED: Maidstone cocaine dealer sent to prison for two years