Hammer wielding thief jailed for two years
Friday 20th July 2018
A THIEF who stole scrap metal from a recycling centre in Lenham has been jailed for two years.
Calum Osbourne and two accomplices drove into the Countrystyle Recycling centre on the Ashford Road, on May 31 in a Ford Transit van. After loading an estimated £250 of scrap metal into the van a member of staff working at the recycling centre tried to stop them. Osbourne threatened the man with a hammer before driving away from the scene.
On June 4 the van was spotted by a police officer on Sutton Road, Maidstone and was pursued into the Staplehurst area, when the van came to an abrupt stop. Osbourne got out of the van and walked in front of the officer’s patrol car in an attempt to try and stop the police from following the van, which had sped off.
After additional officers arrived at the scene, 27-year-old Osbourne was arrested after fleeing on foot. The van was later found abandoned on Grave Lane, Staplehurst. Inside, officers recovered the hammer that was used during the robbery.
Osbourne, of Southend Crescent, Eltham was charged with the robbery, obstructing police and possessing an offensive weapon in a public place.
Appearing before Maidstone Crown Court today (July 20), he pleaded guilty and was sentenced to two years in prison.
Detective Constable Tony Hatcher said: “Osbourne is an opportunist thief, who probably wasn’t expecting to be challenged as he was loading the stolen metal into the van. However, by threatening a man with a hammer proves he is also dangerous and a custodial sentence is the only appropriate punishment.”
- Landowner reveals 1,000 homes plans as council 'call for sites' deadline passes
- WARNING: Restrictions in place from next week on rural road - details
- Shaina Marston and Damian Parsonage accused of stealing meat and Easter eggs
- CRASH: Collision blocks roundabout near Maidstone - expect long delays
- Busy village road near Maidstone to shut for urgent road works
- Drunken science teacher smashed car into lamp post in Maidstone
- LIFE IN PRISON: Minimum 32 years for house blaze killer Simon Childs
- Tributes to Lib Dem activist and ex-Mayor Brian Mortimer who died this morning