Hollywood glitz at fundraising ball
Wednesday 4th March 2015
A FUNDRAISING ball to promote organ donation is being staged at The Mercure Great Danes Hotel, Maidstone to commemorate what would have been the 40th birthday of popular local actor Daniel Wiltshire.
Following Daniel’s death from a brain haemorrhage in March last year, his family set up the Daniel Wiltshire Foundation.
The movie-themed ball, titled "As We Like It", takes place on Friday March 6 and will have contributions from actors, singers and dancers who worked with Daniel and a charity auction.
Guests will be greeted by a troupe of actors in Bugsy Malone guise on board a vintage car.
Daniel’s mother Annie, from Boxley Road, Maidstone, said: “Daniel loved his life as a professional actor, and appeared in everything from Shakespeare – hence the title of the evening – to song and dance productions.
“He loved glitz and glamour, and the ball will honour that. It would have been his 40th birthday, and we wanted to stage a fabulous event that would have made him proud.”
Daniel was well-known in Maidstone, educated at St Francis Roman Catholic School, a popular member of the Changeling Theatre Group, and often helped his mother run Harper’s gift and coffee shop in Market Buildings.
Following his death, and in line with his wishes, four of Daniel’s organs were donated, including one to a patient who had been waiting six years for a transplant.
There is a critical shortage of people willing to be organ donors. Across the UK three people die every day because of a lack of transplant organs, while 7,000 are on the waiting list.
Tickets to the ball are £70 each, and can be ordered direct from www.the danielwiltshirefoundation.com or call 07517 442111.
- MOTORWAY DELAYS: Highways England announces diversions tonight on M20 and M2
- WARNING: Van man stalker 'followed me into woods' says female dog walker
- Collateral to stop in Kent as part of nation-wide tour
- GALLERY: Pictures from inside Leeds Castle of its enchanting festival of flowers
- ROAD CLOSURE: Sewer works planned for up to 12 days near Maidstone
- POLL: Does Maidstone Borough Council provide good value for money? VOTE NOW
- TRAFFIC ALERT: Crash causing delays on the A249 near Maidstone
- FIRE: Crews tackle mattress blaze in Maidstone shopping centre