Housing rebel Tory Paul Butcher has died after long illness
Tuesday 20th September 2016
A former Conservative on Madistone Borough Council who quit the party in disgust over housing plans has died after a long illness.
Paul Butcher, of Staplehurst, served on both Maidstone Borough Council (MBC) from 2003 to 2015 and his parish council.
Rory Silkin, Staplehurst Parish Council's chairman, said: "I think it is very sad and he will be badly missed as he did so much for the village, both professionally and on the council."
Mr Butcher ran his own Butchers Removals and Storage business and was paricularly outspoken on housing issues.
In May 2014 resident quit the Tories over Maidstone's massive house-building plans.
Cllr John Perry added: "He was tireless in his support of the young people in our village and it was down to his determination and hard work that the Youth Club developed and grew."
Staplehurst Parish Council held a minute's silence before meetings last night.
After resigning ffrommthe council he offered to sign nomination papers for a Liberal Democrat candidate.
- A249 SMASH: Woman airlifted to hospital after crash - full details
- M20 SHUTS: Drivers face disruption - traffic spilling into A20
- RSPB Big Garden Birdwatch is back - see how you can take part
- HEALTH REPORT: 'Inadequate' Albion Place Medical Centre in special measures
- Graffiti artists find their work blitzed by high-pressure sprayers in clean-up
- STOLEN: £3,000 electric bicycle pinched outside Maidstone bank
- M20 COLLISION: Dog survives M-way hit with vehicle - details
- M20 DEATH: Man found dead near motorway, say police