ILLEGAL LORRIES: Fines for truckers who use back roads and laybys to park free
Friday 5th February 2021
LORRY drivers have been learning an expensive lesson in new Brexit regulations after taking a chance on parking on Blue Bell Hill.
Kent County Council has new powers to fine £150 any lorry parked where it should not be for longer than 45 minutes.
The rules are in force to limited travel chaos on the roads caused by lorries after the end of the Brexit transition period.
The legislation forbids illegal parking inside M20 corridor boroughs, including Maidstone.
Lorry drivers, unwilling or unable to pay for official lorry parking, have been using certain areas to sleep overnight. One area is the near the Lower Bell pub.
Six vehicles were clamped and hit with a £150 fine and a £35 surcharge.
Another hotspot for illegal parking is under the M20 bridge on the A20 at Chegworth, close to where local borough councillor Eddie Powell lives.
He has campaigned for years to tighten controls.
He said: "They're a damn nuisance, dangerous and antisocial but enforcement is the key. If KCC has the powers, then they should be supported to do so. Both British and foreign have been breaking the rules for a very long time."
The restriction applies to all streets all day, seven days a week.
- MURDER: MPs pay tribute to Sir David Amess following stabbing
- COVID: Wedding bookings expected to return to 'normal levels' next month
- WILDLIFE: Daddy long legs in 'harmless' invasion
- MAIDSTONE: Brothers keep sporting ambition in the family
- SURVEY: Speeding is 'routine' in Bearsted
- LATEST: Biffa 'sorry' for noisy pre-dawn collections across Maidstone
- WEST MALLING: Unsafe lime trees to be felled at church
- LATEST: Mosque 'will be place for whole community'