Increase your chances of quitting smoking with national campaign
Wednesday 19th September 2018
SMOKERS across Maidstone and Malling are encouraged to make use of Public Health England’s Stoptober campaign on October 1 to improve their chances of quitting for good.
The Government’s health team says using a national initiative as motivation massively increases your chances of kicking the habit over going it alone.
Stoptober launched in 2012, helping to push down the number of adult smokers to a record low last year - down a quarter on 2011. But the habit remains the biggest cause of preventable deaths in England.
In Maidstone, 17.1% of people smoke – higher than the prevelance across the South East at 13.7%. The district in Kent with the most smokers is Thanet (23.7%) and Dartford the lowest at 10.2%. In the borough of Malling and Tonbridge, 11.6% of people smoke.
What is true, according to the figures, is that of the South East’s 967,011 smokers, six in 10 want to quit.
Stoptober last year helped nearly 400,000 smokers stop, cutting the number of smokers nationally to 14.9% of the adult population. The campaign is based on research that found if you can make it to 28 days smokefree, you are five times more likely to quit for good.
New this year, is a free online ‘Personal Quit Plan’ to help smokers find the best support for them, with suggestions including face-to-face advice, nicotine patches, gum or inhalers, and e-cigarettes. Visit www.nhs.uk/oneyou/stoptober.
- There are 1 million fewer smokers in England than in 2014
- Smoking prevalence in England amongst men is 17% and amongst women 13%News from Public Health England
- E-cigarettes remain the nation’s favourite stop-smoking aid, with about 3.2 million adult users in Great Britain
- TV presenter Jeremy Kyle, who quit smoking earlier this year after 30 years on 20-a-day, is supporting this year’s Stoptober campaign
- COURT: Teen dodges jail after 'sniffing a white powder' at a Maidstone nightclub
- HEADCORN STABBING: Latest developments and pictures from the scene
- COURT: Sales consultant crashed company car into tree more than double the limit
- STABBING: Car wash owner knifed in head in 'wild west' village near Maidstone
- BANK HOLIDAY: Contractor announces closures, delays and disruption on M20
- MUSIC ON THE GREEN: Getting ready for the big day this weekend in Bearsted
- JAILED: Shameful past of Juliet Waghorn who stabbed her husband near Maidstone
- Abusive Juliette Waghorn jailed for knife attack on husband at Leeds home