It's cherry ripe time in Maidstone
Monday 29th June 2020
The cherry picking season has started in Maidstone – and the crop is looking good.
Our photograph shows top growers Brian Piper and his partner daughter Rachel Sands in their orchard off Hubbards Lane, Loose, taking a moment to enjoy the fruit of their labour.
The weather has given them challenges this year with the need for protection against late frosts and then watering to help offset a very dry period.
“Some varieties are a little smaller this year due to lack of rain – but overall things are looking good, Brian said.
“Market demand is strong and this is keeping us very busy trying to meet it.”
There is a steady stream of customers at the farm entrance off Hubbards Lane and currently they have a choice of several early varieties.
- WE'RE BACK AND OPEN FOR BUSINESS
- WEATHER: Sun has got its hat on this weekend - forecast for next week
- OTHAM HOUSING: Conservative Val Springett pulls out of crunch vote on 421 homes
- WARNING: Road to shut next week for one day
- BREAKING: Man's body found near busy road in Maidstone
- BREAKING: Man found dead in woodland near Maidstone
- CUSTODY: Drive ban ice cream man 'fails roadside drug test'
- RELIEF ROAD: Transport board hears worrying news for Maidstone villages