JAILED: Knifeman Jack Reader threatened pensioner and robbed village shop
Friday 15th March 2019
AN armed robber, who targeted a pensioner working alone in a village shop, has been jailed for more than four years.
Jack Reader was caught by police after brandishing a knife and snatching cash from the store in Chart Sutton, on January 21.
Reader, (20), of Terrace Road, Maidstone, entered the shop at 4.50pm and produced an “eight-inch long knife”. Maidstone Crown Court heard he waved the blade at the shop worker, a woman in her 60s, and told her to open the till.
He then fled with around £100.
Police identified Reader as the prime suspect and established that he had used a silver Mercedes as a getaway car. He was arrested on February 13, wearing the same jacket and trousers as the robber, whose image had been caught on CCTV during the raid.
Tattoos on Reader's left hand and a distinctive mole below his ear, confirmed he was the offender.
Reader was subsequently charged with robbery and possessing a knife in a public place. He pleaded guilty and, yesterday, was sentenced to four years and three months imprisonment for the robbery, and 18 months for possessing a knife in public. The sentences will run concurrently.
Detective Constable David Evans said: “Reader subjected his victim to a truly terrifying ordeal. She was no doubt left fearing for her life after he terrorised her with a large knife and forced her to open the till.
“Thankfully, we were able to promptly identify and arrest him, ensuring he could pose no further threat to people in the local community.
“The courts have passed a significant sentence and I hope at the very least that it will provide the victim with the reassurance that justice has now been served.”
- WARNING: 21 day temporary speed limit near Maidstone
- WARNING: Temporary traffic lights in Maidstone
- LATEST: Jeffery Mills, 54, appears in court accused of Shepway murder
- HGV CRASH: Roundabout collision causing long delays in Maidstone
- CLOSED: Hollingbourne Hill to close for drainage works
- CLOSED: Road closure near Maidstone for carriageway works
- SHEPWAY MURDER: Jeffery Mills, 54, charged - full details
- Maidstone rail users fall victim to disruption on the lines over Easter