JAILED: Mum and partner who neglected six-week-old baby
Monday 19th February 2018
A MOTHER who neglected a six week old baby and caused it physical harm has been jailed with her partner.
The pair are now each serving ten year prison sentences for their cruelty.
A court was told November 18, 2014, Jody Simpson (24) took her son to a doctor’s surgery from the couple’s flat in Square Hill Road, Maidstone. The child was immediately taken by ambulance to hospital as he was critically ill.
The baby’s father ony Smith (46) joined the mother at the hospital where the infant was placed on a ventilator before being taken to a London hospital.
A police statement said: "The baby received intensive care and when examined by medical experts was found to have multiple fractures and had developed septicaemia.
"Smith and Simpson were both interviewed and denied causing the injuries or having any knowledge of how they were caused. They also denied delaying the seeking of medical attention.
"Both were subsequently charged with causing or allowing a child to suffer serious physical harm and neglect. Their child was placed in the care of Social Services after being discharged from hospital. Smith and Simpson pleaded not guilty at Maidstone Crown Court and were found guilty on Friday 16 February. They were sentenced on Monday 19 February."
Detective Inspector Ian Wadey said: "This was a distressing case where injury and ill-health has been caused to a baby by those who should have been committed to his care and well-being, Jody Simpson and Tony Smith.
"This child will have to live with the effects for the rest of his life and the parents can spend time reflecting on their actions and neglect during their time in prison.
"I would like to thank the medical staff and experts who cared for the baby when he was admitted to hospital and who subsequently assisted us with this investigation."
- 20/03/2018 - Police release CCTV images over Maidstone cannabis factory
- 20/03/2018 - Stones swoop to bring in Hull City striker
- 20/03/2018 - Water plans for Aylesford Newsprint site on display
- 19/03/2018 - Warnings of delays after M20 accident
- 19/03/2018 - Roadworks cancelled due to cold weather
- 19/03/2018 - Plea for allotment owners to contact police after thefts
- 16/03/2018 - ATTEMPTED MURDER: Man stabbed at house a after four-man break-in
- 16/03/2018 - CLOSURE: Busy Maidstone road to be shut - full details