JAILED: Paddy Doran, 31, conned elderly couple in Maidstone
Tuesday 15th September 2020
TWO Maidstone pensioners were scammed out of more than £700 after a fraudster convinced them they needed new roof tiles.
Paddy Doran (31) randomly showed up at the couple’s house in Church Road on three separate occasions in March 2020.
He told the OAPs that their roof tiles urgently needed replacing and said whoever had initially installed them used stolen materials.
A Kent Police spokesman said: “The roof was actually in good order and the victims were misled by Doran. They were persuaded to hand over the cash and the work he promised was never completed.
“Doran then tried to get them to draw out a further £1,200.”
Doran was arrested and charged with fraud by false representation and driving a vehicle without insurance after the car he was seen driving was not registered to him.
A jury found him guilty following a trial at Maidstone Crown Court on Monday, September 14.
Doran was sentenced to two years and three months in prison at the same court on Tuesday, September 15.
- OUT NOW! Pick up the latest edition or read online
- DETAILS: Resurfacing works on B2012 Lower Boxley Road
- LATEST: Prezzo to reopen in Maidstone
- PLANNED: 18-month road closure in Aylesford
- URGENT: Gas leak repairs near Maidstone
- GALLERY: Maidstone pupils adjust to 'new normal'
- INQUEST: Police took 49 minutes to respond to dad's 999 call
- M20 DISRUPTION: After Op Stack - even more trouble on the motorway