JAILED: Snodland man planned to meet 12-year-old for sex
Wednesday 21st April 2021
A SNODLAND man who arranged to meet a child for sex has been jailed.
Reece Cano repeatedly sought indecent images of a girl he believed was only 12 years old and then arranged to meet her in 'a quiet place' in order to carry out abuse.
Cano accessed dating and instant messaging apps to contact another user who posted as a child.
Despite her sending several replies stating she was only 12, he used the online exchanges to try and entice her into sexual activity and to send him illegal images.
Cano’s messages contained a series of explicit demands and included suggestions of meeting in a hotel.
In October, he made preparations to meet the child in the Snodland area, where he planned to abuse her.
Unbeknown to him, the child did not actually exist.
Cano was charged with two counts of attempting to cause or incite a child to engage in sexual activity, attempting to engage in sexual communication with a child and with arranging or facilitating the commission of a child sex offence.
He was further charged with breaching a sexual harm prevention order and failure to comply with notification requirements.
Cano pleaded guilty to all the charges and was sentenced to four years’ imprisonment, with an extended licence period of a further four years.
Cano will be required to serve two thirds of the sentence before he can be considered for parole. He was also made subject of a sexual harm prevention order and added to the sex offenders register indefinitely.
- COURT: Council takes first step towards clearing up Embankments restaurant
- 999: Paramedic recognised for more than 37 years' service
- LATEST: Business 'booming' for local restaurants
- LATEST: Plan to open all Kent libraries
- KINGS HILL: New leaders shake up troubled parish council
- MP HELEN WHATELY: Call to extend power to stop illegal lorry parking
- CAPTAIN PETER TOWNSEND: Royal lover's medals sold
- WARNING: Alarming reports of toxic hogweed in Maidstone