JAIL: Three men who terrorised Detling caravan site jailed for total of 25 years
Friday 21st May 2021
THREE men who terrorised a caravan site in front of young children in Detling have been jailed for a total of more than 25 years.
Armed with a machete and an axe, Eli Smith (25), James Lee (22) and Prince Adeshokan (21) broke into three caravans just off Scragged Oak Road during the early hours of July 22 last year.
Three victims suffered injuries, including a man who was stabbed in the arm with a knife.
A woman carrying a young child was ordered to leave her home by one of the men wielding an axe, whilst another victim was forced to seek refuge in a bedroom with her children.
The suspects left in a white transit van which was later found on fire in Rumstead Lane, Thurnham.
Appearing before Maidstone Crown Court, all three pleaded guilty to a charge of conspiracy to commit aggravated burglary.
Smith, of Five Kilns, Stockbury Valley, Sittingbourne, was jailed for eight years.
Lee, also of Five Kilns, Stockbury Valley, Sittingbourne, was sentenced to seven-and-a-half years’ imprisonment.
Adeshokan received ten years, which included two years for breaching a previous suspended sentence.
Levy Deeprose (31), a relative of Smith and Lee, claimed that he had attended the site to pay back a drug debt, but said he was not aware of the violence the mystery associates intended to use.
Deeprose was serving a prison sentence at the time for other matters and, in an effort to clear his relatives’ names, made these false accusations that he was involved in their crimes.
He was sentenced on to 18 months’ imprisonment for perverting the course of justice.
Detective Constable Rachel Laidlaw said: “The victims in these crimes were woken in the middle of the night and subjected to a truly terrifying ordeal.
“Smith, Lee and Adeshokan were either directly or indirectly responsible for acts of mindless violence, which were carried out in the presence of young children.
“Whilst we may never know the precise role each of them played, indisputable evidence including data from phones and ANPR has proved beyond any shadow of doubt that each had leading roles.
“These offences were targeted and planned by dangerous criminals who have little regard for the fear and distress their actions cause, and so it is pleasing to see justice has been served with what are significant prison sentences.”
- COURT: Council takes first step towards clearing up Embankments restaurant
- 999: Paramedic recognised for more than 37 years' service
- LATEST: Business 'booming' for local restaurants
- LATEST: Plan to open all Kent libraries
- KINGS HILL: New leaders shake up troubled parish council
- MP HELEN WHATELY: Call to extend power to stop illegal lorry parking
- CAPTAIN PETER TOWNSEND: Royal lover's medals sold
- WARNING: Alarming reports of toxic hogweed in Maidstone