Jaydee sets perfect example for troubled children in RSPCA pet project
Wednesday 13th June 2018
KEEN to make herself useful while waiting for a home, Jaydee (pictured) has been putting her skills to use working with other troubled youngsters at the RSPCA’s centre near West Malling.
The Staffie is one of the first to be involved in the RSPCA’s new Paws 4 Change scheme, which introduces young people who have had difficult upbringings to the responsibility and joy of being a dog owner.
The pilot is proving so successful that the charity now intends rolling the scheme out nationally.
Nine-year-old Jaydee found herself at the RSPCA’s Leybourne Animal Centre two months ago after her owner fell ill and was unable to look after her. Having spent most of her life in their company, the move to the centre in Castle Way, Leybourne, was unsettling, but staff say she has found her calling and is enjoying socialising with other dogs and people.
Leybourne manager Becca Williams said: “Jaydee is such a sweet girl and has a smile that could melt any heart.
“She’s really flourished since coming into our care and is absolutely loving learning agility and heelwork to music with our staff. She’s extremely intelligent and loves learning new things.
“She’s been so receptive and wonderful to work with.”
RSPCA behaviour and welfare specialist Jacque Kaye runs the Paws 4 Change scheme at Leybourne. She said: “Jaydee has been through a lot of upheaval and can be extremely excitable and anxious in some situations but the difference we’ve seen in her since she started working with young people from Paws 4 Change has been amazing - and I think she’s also had a big impact on them too.”
She added: “Jaydee has really found her calling and has been an incredible asset for this scheme, which not only helps the dogs themselves, but also helps young people who have had difficulties in their lives.”
In spite of this, Jaydee would love to find herself a permanent home.
For details, view her profile click here, call Leybourne Animal Centre on 0300 123 0751, or email email@example.com.
- 21/06/2018 - TRAFFIC UPDATE: Traffic lights causing congestion in Maidstone village
- 21/06/2018 - TRAFFIC NEWS: Problems on the A249 this morning - expect delays
- 20/06/2018 - Temporary traffic lights causing delays through Leeds
- 20/06/2018 - ROAD WORKS: Busy street set for closure next week
- 20/06/2018 - Sutton Valence charity water slide back on
- 20/06/2018 - Mystery over early morning helicopter reports
- 19/06/2018 - Maidstone mother and son who died at Beachy Head named by police
- 19/06/2018 - County show sets new standard for recycling plastic