LATEST: Maidstone River Festival is OFF - 'too risky' says chairman
Friday 7th May 2021
THE hugely popular Maidstone River Festival this summer has been cancelled - the latest victim of COVID-19.
The organising committee was hopeful of being able to stage the event but a potential third wave of the virus and strict safety guidance made it "too risky".
Chairman David Naghi said: "“A lot of people have been in touch about the River Festival which was due to be held on Saturday 31st July.
"The Committee was optimistic at one point but we have decided it is still too risky to put on an outdoor event this year and comply with all the event safety guidance. We are already thinking ahead to next year’s event which is planned for Saturday 30th July 2022.
"The River Festival is a free community event and can only take place with the support and goodwill of the people of Maidstone. We hope that next year, in the week in the lead up to the events on the Saturday, that the town business will be holding events as well.”
For more information visit www.maidstoneriverfestival.com or on Twitter and Facebook.
- BREAKING: Vehicle hits bridge near Maidstone - all train lines blocked
- WARNING: Temporary traffic lights on main road near Maidstone
- CRASH DELAYS: Busy road blocked following RTC in Maidstone
- JAILED: Text pest Tim Mumford faked his death to harass woman PC - court
- GBBO: Tom from Maidstone first to leave Great British Bake Off show on Channel 4
- CCTV APPEAL: Ramp for disabled visitors stolen from dental practice
- COURT: Katy Sue Lafferty to stand trial for drink driving
- WARNING: Crash blocks busy road in Maidstone