LATEST: New Mayor Fay 'harbours Maidstone in her soul'
Friday 11th June 2021
COUNCILLOR Fay Gooch has been formally sworn in as Mayor of Maidstone, writes Jade Schopman.
Cllr Gooch, who has lived in Maidstone for more than 46 years, previously served as deputy Mayor after taking over the role from predecessor Cllr Wendy Hinder who died last year.
She told Maidstone Borough Council’s annual meeting at the Detling showground, Cllr Steve Munford said the mum of two was “born for the role” and joked she has spent “most of her life in a town hall”.
Cllr John Perry described Cllr Gooch as “one of the most positive people you will ever meet” whilst former leader Cllr Martin Cox said she “harbours Maidstone in her very soul”.
Cllr Gooch, who has spent much of her working life in local government, joined Barming Parish Council in 1997 and has been chairman since 2002.
She started at the London Borough of Lewisham and later joined Kent County Council at what used to be Sandling Block Springfield.
Cllr Gooch said her new role is an “incredible honour and privilege” after 13 years as a borough councillor.
She added: “I could not have imagined that after 13 years of being the borough councillor for what is now called Barming and Teston, I would be given the opportunity to become Mayor of Maidstone as first citizen of the borough.
“This is an incredible honour and privilege for me. I especially want everyone to know that Maidstone is open for business and help promote retailers, industrial organisations across the borough be they large or small, whilst supporting entrepreneurs looking to start up their own businesses.
“My year as Mayor would not be complete without warmly thanking our wonderful volunteers and doing what I can to help revitalise the coffers of our voluntary and charitable organisations through fund raising.
“I look forward to meeting you.”
Cllr Gooch is married to Peter with two children and four grandchildren.
- WITNESS APPEAL: Mass brawl at cup final in Maidstone
- APPEAL: Man 'exposed himself in front of dog walker' in woods near Maidstone
- LATEST: Man in his 30s arrested after Maidstone town centre assault
- BAILED: John Devall 'spat at nurse and verbally abused officers' in Maidstone
- M2: £92million upgrade works given the go ahead
- M20 DELAYS: Lorry tyre change blocks lane near Maidstone
- HEART OF KENT HOSPICE: Elmer sculpture vandalised on launch day
- LATEST: Thunderstorm alert changed to rain warning