LEEDS CASTLE: 900th birthday a 'resounding' success
Friday 29th November 2019
LEEDS Castle boss Sir David Steel has hailed the treasure house’s 900th birthday celebrations a “resounding” success.
The year-long celebration of the landmark’s presence in Kent was marked by a series of high-profile events, including the acclaimed Carnival of History and new garden opened by patron, HRH Princess Alexandra.
But it was not about boosting visitor numbers but to establish the castle alongside the other great attractions in England, he said.
Writing in the Leeds and Broomfield parish magazine, Sir David writes: “Some have asked me whether or not Leeds Castle 900 has been a success.
“My answer is a resounding ‘yes’. Have we attracted thousands more visitors than in previous years? Not really.
“However, from the very first month of the year, when we featured on BBC1’s Countryfile, the very popular BBC TV show, all the way through to this December…we have attractedinterest from far and wide.
“We have established ourselves very firmly on the podium of the great “treasure houses” of England and we have used the good fortune of our age to our advantage.”
FULL STORY DOWNS MAIL
- BREAKING: Broken down car transporter blocks main road in Maidstone
- GAS LEAK: Long delays on main road for repair works in Maidstone
- BREAKING: Broken down lorry blocks motorway in Maidstone
- BREAKING: Child injured in house blaze near Maidstone
- BREAKING: HGV driver wrecked property and drove off - police called but no show
- GUILTY: Violent bully David Brown faces jail for assault and coercive control
- JAILED: Trucker Jeremy Didesse, 44, chatted on phone before M20 multiple pile-up
- M20 ROADWORKS: Delays, closures and diversions next week