LENHAM HEATH: Residents organise walk over Lib Dem council's 5,000 homes plan
Friday 8th November 2019
RESIDENTS opposed to Maidstone Borough Council's plan to build 5,000 houses at Lenham Heath will hold a walk later this month.
Pressure group Save Our Heath Lands have organised the ramble to "show MBC that our countryside is not the right place" for the large scale development.
MBC now styles itself as a "master developer" and is in the process of trying to obtain large tracts of land from the owners, many of whom have been forced to sign non-disclosure agreements.
Some, who do want to sell their properties, fear that the Liberal Democrat-led council will force the sale via compulsory purchase orders (CPOs).
MBC claims: "The intention would be to agree terms on a negotiated basis. Regardless, no firm decisions in respect of the overall proposal have been made. However, the CPO legal process has an embedded compensation rights mechanism.”
An organiser said: "We want to show MBC we are a strong community, not just Lenham and Lenham Heath but all our neighbouring villages (Charing Heath, Charing, Egerton, Boughton Malherbe, Platts Heath and Harrietsham). Our Heath community is united."
Date: Sunday 17th November 2019
Time: 1:30pm to 3:30pm
Charing Heath and Lenham Heath Memorial Hall
Charing Heath,Church hill, Ashford,Kent, TN27 0BU
- OUT NOW! Pick up the latest edition or read online
- UPDATE: Bearsted road closure rescheduled - details
- LATEST: Speed limit plan backed near Maidstone
- LEEDS CASTLE: Attraction faces huge losses and job cuts
- CCTV APPEAL: Purse stolen from car in Maidstone - can you help?
- APPEAL: Pensioner has wallet stolen at Aylesford supermarket
- WARNING: Two bikes stolen in Maidstone town centre in one day
- UPDATE: Two drivers rushed to hospital following major collision near Maidstone