LIFE IN PRISON: Minimum 32 years for house blaze killer Simon Childs
Friday 24th May 2019
BLAZE killer Simon Childs has been jailed for life with a minimum of 32 years to serve.
Childs, 52, murdered Jackie Allen, 65, at his former marital home by dousing it in petrol in November last year.
Maidstone Crown Court heard how Childs broke into the property in Spitfie Road, West Malling, at around 9pm on November 17 2018. He took fuel containers from a shed which were filled with petrol and started a fire in a lean-to, next to the kitchen.
Emergency services attended and located Mrs Allen inside and she was later pronounced deceased in hospital. Another person also in the property, was found in the garden having jumped to safety from a first floor bedroom and suffered injuries including a fractured toe.
The pest-contoller suspected his estranged wife Mandy - whom he had threatened and bombarded with abusive messages - had found love with another man.
Judge Judith Farbey said: "You have deprived Mandy of her mother and you have deprived Jackie of the rest of her life. Your 16 year marriage was strained and filled with jealousy and anger you couldn't control.
"You carried out your plan in jealousy and revenge on Mandy. You are not a man of good character and was deeply affected by the breakdown of your marriage."
- MOTORWAY DELAYS: Highways England announces diversions tonight on M20 and M2
- WARNING: Van man stalker 'followed me into woods' says female dog walker
- Collateral to stop in Kent as part of nation-wide tour
- GALLERY: Pictures from inside Leeds Castle of its enchanting festival of flowers
- ROAD CLOSURE: Sewer works planned for up to 12 days near Maidstone
- POLL: Does Maidstone Borough Council provide good value for money? VOTE NOW
- TRAFFIC ALERT: Crash causing delays on the A249 near Maidstone
- FIRE: Crews tackle mattress blaze in Maidstone shopping centre