Labour sets out stall for Kent County Council elections
Tuesday 7th March 2017
THE Labour Party is to target two divisions at the forthcoming elections to Kent County Council on May 4.
Dan Wilkinson will take on Tory Gary Cooke in Maidstone south east where Ukip is fielding Eddie Powell, in what is likely to be the most interesting contest locally.
Each of the three candidates has a realistic chance of winning the seat.
Labour will field its two borough councillors - Keith Adkinson and Paul Harper - in Maidstone central where Liberal Democrats Rob Bird and Dan Daley hold the seats presently.
In 2013, Labour finished a long way back with only a small percentage of the vote and behind the Tories and Ukip.
A spokesman said: "Labour priorities are social care, education and to encourage a co-ordinated public transport system with a view to achieving a modal shift away from car dependency to sustainable walking, cycling, buses trains and car sharing."
The candidates are: Maidstone Central - Paul Harper and Keith Adkinson; Maidstone South East - Dan Wilkinson; Maidstone South - Patrick Coates; Maidstone North East - Joanna Burns; Rural West - Richard Coates; Rural South - Marlyn Randall; Rural East - Malcolm McKay; Rural North - Tim Licence
- SOUTH EAST WATER: Anger over noisy night work in village near Maidstone
- SOUTHERN WATER: Sewage company 'blames householders' for sewage discharges
- HEATHER HOUSE: Bowls club can no longer play due to community centre closure
- NEW: Knotweed data shows 'map' of infestations in Maidstone
- LATEST: 'Anti-terrorism' gates installed in Maidstone
- COURT: Maidstone man Mark Bond killed deer and caused harm to his dog
- 999 CRASH: Main road blocked in Maidstone - delays
- CUSTODY: Three arrested after stolen car police chase near Maidstone