Lenham School pupil hits the ground running with major medal
Friday 16th February 2018
ATHLETCS whizzkid Kristian Samwell-Nash has followed up his successes of 2017 with a major medal early this year.
The 15-year-old Lenham School enjoyed a fantastic first season last year, including winning silver medals at both England Schools and the England National Championships.
This year, he has not only moved up to the very competitive U17 age category – in which he is one of the youngest competitors – but also stepped up to run the 400m.
But that didn’t show when he competed at the Southern England Athletics Indoor Championships at Lee Valley on the first weekend in January.
Kristian, who lives in Heaadcorn, ran three races in the day, eventually winning the silver medal in a personal best time of 51.04.
Proud dad David said: “It’s very rare for 15-year-old to compete at this level so soon with experienced 16-year-olds, but Kristian did so well. He’s only just 15 as well, so he’s a lot younger than some of his rivals.
“He has done so well, given that he only started running properly last year. He’s now getting proper training to be a runner, and that will only help him in the future.”
Kristian started attending Ashford Athletic Club after feeling he was short of fitness to play his first love, football, having said to his dad that he had not really enjoyed a promotion-winning season with Lenham Wanderers.
He quickly impressed the coaches at the club, and was soon competing at the highest level.
Last year, as an under 15, he was only able to compete at 300m, but on the one 400m race he did run, he broke a record held by Jack Green, who will be competing for England at the Commonwealth Games in April.
- BREAKING: Vehicle hits bridge near Maidstone - all train lines blocked
- WARNING: Temporary traffic lights on main road near Maidstone
- CRASH DELAYS: Busy road blocked following RTC in Maidstone
- JAILED: Text pest Tim Mumford faked his death to harass woman PC - court
- GBBO: Tom from Maidstone first to leave Great British Bake Off show on Channel 4
- CCTV APPEAL: Ramp for disabled visitors stolen from dental practice
- COURT: Katy Sue Lafferty to stand trial for drink driving
- WARNING: Crash blocks busy road in Maidstone